July 18, 2017

The Latest: Reflecting on Past Summers


Yesterday I had what my twelve year old self would have called a "real summer day". I played some video games, I watched Game of Thrones simultaneously with my friend in Scotland (we had first begun watching it together when we both lived in Paris!), watched some CSI, watered the plants, had a nice long shower, cooked a hearty dinner with a glass of wine in hand.... and honestly not much more than that. It was glorious.

I also felt a bit guilty, though. I have a lot of things on my plate and the idea of not doing work towards ANY of it made me feel as though I wasted an opportunity for focused work. But I think I've been focusing for a long time, so a day to myself to turn my brain off was probably exactly what I needed. Today, I woke up feeling invigorated and made a collage first thing in the morning before work. Then I painted at work. And now, I have plans to dive into some reading for my thesis work. And later, dinner with my fella!

It's strange to think back to my younger self who would play Sims and watch TV all day, almost all summer, and never get bored of it. How was that possible!?! I honestly can't imagine. Instead my summers are filled with seeing friends, being outdoors, drinking and eating delicious things, painting drawing and making, going on adventures around the city (and out!), and of course, as an adult - there is still work! It's been like that for years, of course, but for some reason this week I have been reflecting on what it was like as a young teenager. I probably also did some social outdoors things, but for the most part I was a real proponent of doing NOTHING AT ALL, ALWAYS. Except play Sims. I loved the Sims. I used to make cheesy little movies from video captured in the game.... I was a bit of a nerd, ok?

Anyway, I thought I'd also just share this photo of me and my friend's pug Susan. She was such a darling, and ow great of a name is Susan for a pug? Also, she actually wasn't as terrified of me as she seems here - I don't think! My friend Krista (Susan's human mama) is moving to New York soon, so I'm trying to soak up as much Krista and Susan time as I can before that.

What's up with you lately? Let me know in the comments!

Fun fact: I still like the Sims, just a little less obsessively I suppose.... ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment