October 4, 2015

A Thought or Two: Water and Rain

I experienced a nice moment this past week, and I thought I would share it.

I know this is far from universal - for some love the rain and grey.

But, there are those days where you wake up in the morning and the sky is so dark that you still have to switch on the lights in your home. Those days where the wind is blowing and the outdoors are basically howling "Stay away! Stay indoors, we do not want you out here today."
And you think about leaving your house, you think about walking to work and getting rained on and being droopy and wet and cold, and you want to listen to the outdoors; you want to stay inside as though your life depended on it! Life goes on, though. Society doesn't pause for a rainy day.



Well, I was experiencing one of those days, feeling a little glum. I had work at 10:30am and was thankful to see the rain had eased and I could probably make it to work without getting soaked through and through. So off I went!

It was a beautiful day after all. The rain drops on plants glistened in the peek-a-boo-ing sun and everything was a little bit sparkly and alive. I spent the entire walk to work admiring the life-giving powers of rain and water, and thinking about how hard I am on the outdoors when really, rain is their gift to the plants and the greenery that make this earth we share a beautiful place.

Surely I can give the plants a day or two of rain so that they may thrive too. The sun will be back for me soon - it's a compromise between the Outdoors, myself, and the plants, and I think I can wrap my head around it, be a little selfless, and stop complaining when the earth is getting what it needs.

I took this picture on my way to work and am so in love with it - and the memory I have associated with it. I can't promise to love the rain, but I can say after that walk and that realization, that I won't harbour such hard feelings for it anymore.


Do you enjoy rainy days? Or are you strictly a sunshine babe?

No comments:

Post a Comment