January 20, 2015

A Year Ago: Moving to Paris

A year ago today I was packing my giant suitcase, headed to the airport, jumping onto a plane, and flying away to Paris for 5 months. It's so overwhelming to look back; part of me can't believe it was only a year ago, other parts of me can't believe it has already been a year! 

Moving to Paris was the first time I was truly away from my friends and family, since I study in the city I grew up in. I never really left. It was 5 hard but wonderful months of learning to live alone, but more importantly learning to BE alone and to be OK with it.

I remember the nerves; the good and bad kind. I remember the first time I stepped into my studio apartment I would be living in for the next 5 months, with the tiny kitchen and pink floral wall paper. I remember the novelty of being able to walk 15 minutes from my new home to Notre-Dame. I remember exploring the neighbourhoods and finding little gems; vintage shops, adorable cafés, street art, little parks, museums, etc. etc. I remember the laughs with friends and Seine-side evenings.

Since coming back to Toronto, everything has been up up up. Paris gave me the confidence to know I can pull myself together and get things done, to get through whatever I want to get through. I am thankful for the friends, the memories, and just everything!

If you want to read more about my Paris experience, I blogged about it on my personal/art blog HERE throughout the trip and shared more photos!

xo

3 comments:

  1. ah, the adventures, and the places we'll go :) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. travel teaches us so much! i had many of the same experiences -- about being more confident in myself when returning home -- and i went to a totally different continent :) love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an experience I bet! I've only been once even though it's just around the corner. What were you doing over there?

    Buckets & Spades

    ReplyDelete